Traumatic brain injury / Concussion
An external event (fall; crash) caused the injury.
Four mechanisms where TBI may occur
- An object hits your head or your head hits the object.
- Your brain accelerates/decelerates or rotates.
- An object penetrates the brain.
- Soundwaves from a nearby blast or explosion vibrate your brain in the skull.
- Hitting the boards in hockey.
- A senior slips and falls.
- A child falls off playground equipment.
- An adult falls off a ladder or roof.
- Shaking a baby.
- Motor vehicle accident.
- Cycling accident.
- Football, soccer tackle; other sport and rec collisions.
- Assault and domestic abuse.
- Industrial accident.
Here are two summary pages on TBI: one from the HealthLink BC and the other from the Brainline website.